May 31, 2010
FEATURE | Heavy Equipment
FPInnovations launches renewable biodiesel study
A $1.7-million field study on the potential use of biodiesel for off-road machinery in highway construction and forest operations is being conducted by FPInnovations, in partnership with Natural Resources, Canada’s National Renewable Diesel Demonstration Initiative.
The study will provide a better understanding of the economical and technical issues related to renewable diesel, and will identify the best means and methods required to overcome likely challenges to biodiesel implementation in Canadian operations.
Funding in the amount of $810,000 is being provided by The National Renewable Diesel Demonstration Initiative (NRDDI), with the Forest Industry and FPInnovations providing the balance.
The study involves three project locations and industrial activities in British Columbia: highway construction in Coquitlam, sawmill yard operation in Prince George, and forest harvest operations in Merritt.
The Prince George location is ideal for this project as it highlights the difficulties facing biodiesel users, including challenging climate conditions, and a remote location in which distribution and storage can be difficult.
The Coquitlam location is of interest for the construction sector because it will demonstrate the logistical challenges in delivering biodiesel blends to their jobsites.
The logging and sawmill operations consume an average of 60,000 litres of fuel each month, the equivalent of a tanker truck. Therefore, several deliveries are anticipated this year.
Safety measures were implemented to ensure the safe and successful completion of this project for everyone involved. For example, spill kits are on-site at JJM Construction, as well as on-board the tanker trucks.
JOC News Service
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas