October 3, 2012
Temporary support collapses on Fort McMurray bridge
Alberta Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) officers are investigating the cause of a structure collapse during construction of a bridge in Fort McMurray, Alberta.
“A temporary aluminum structure support failed after a concrete pour for an abutment on the Steinhauer Bridge,” said Alberta OH&S spokesperson Brookes Merritt. “A stop work order was issued, but it has been lifted.”
The incident happened at about 7 p.m. on Sept. 18, while Flatiron Constructors Canada was rehabilitating the bridge over the Athabasca River. No one was injured.
Flatiron is demolishing the bridge superstructure, which includes the deck, girders and bearings, as well as retrofitting the bridge’s pier caps. Bridge capacity will be increased from two to three lanes.
The bridge carries northbound traffic over the river and is parallel to the Athabasca River Bridge, another Flatiron project completed in 2011. Flatiron is detouring traffic onto the new Athabasca River Bridge during construction.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas