November 7, 2012
Better bridge inspections
Alberta's auditor general says while the province's bridges are not falling down, officials could be doing a better job of inspecting them. In his latest report, Merwan Saher says they found numerous problems with how Alberta's 4,400 bridge structures are maintained.
He said some inspections are not being done in a timely manner, there is a lack of adequate certification for inspectors and there are problems with the contracting process used for inspections.
Saher also urged Premier Alison Redford’s government to do a better job reporting the results and costs incurred in meeting climate change targets.
He also mentioned that the Department of Transportation is missing out on some big cost savings by delaying a new policy on employees using their own vehicles.
THE CANADIAN PRESS
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 483 projects with a total value of $1,715,828,019 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$100,000,000 Greater Vancouver RD BC Prebid
$17,000,000 Fort MacLeod AB Tenders
$15,000,000 Abbotsford BC Prebid
- Fort McMurray airport terminal getting ready for take off
- B.C. government forms liquefied natural gas working group
- Kitimat residents vote against Northern Gateway pipeline
- Precast concrete enables net-zero homes
- Learning to dig safely can save lives
- Ex construction boss admits to collusion in government contracts
- P3 Fund launches
- Supreme court won't hear case involving construction mogul
- Minister spurns spat over plant
- Youth get hands-on at Future Building expo
- Taskgroup to work on engaging Aboriginal communities
- World Cup stadium strike comes to an end
- Former Quebec construction boss admits collusion involvement
- Manufacturing labour shortage to get a boost from government
- LEED-approved projects are booming in 2014
- Large wave of project enter Holcim Awards competition
- Former finance minister Jim Flaherty has died
- Siemens Canada awarded first wind turbine order in Saskatchewan