LATEST NEWS O H & S
November 19, 2012
Saskatchewan asbestos registry being created
The Government of Saskatchewan is creating a central registry of public buildings that contain asbestos.
Workplace Safety Minister Don Morgan said the province will create an asbestos information website.
School districts, universities, health regions and municipalities are encouraged to post information about asbestos containing buildings on the ministry’s website.
Older buildings, especially those built before 1980, may contain the toxic material. Asbestos isn’t considered harmful if undisturbed, but renovations or construction work can stir up hazardous fibres that can be inhaled .
Howard Willems, a former building inspector, died last week from a form of cancer that comes from inhaling asbestos fibres. Before his death, he had lobbied for the province to create an asbestos registry.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$1,000,000,000 Edmonton AB Prebid
$220,000,000 Medicine Hat AB Negotiated
$50,000,000 Calgary AB Prebid
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)