November 28, 2012
Syncrude awards two oilsands contracts
Syncrude has awarded two contracts to KBR for module fabrication and field construction of a plant for processing tailings from its oilsands mines northeast of Fort McMurray, Alta.
The general contractor, KBR Industrial Canada, a subsidiary of KBR Canada, will provide module fabrication and construction services for the project, which uses Syncrude’s newest tailings reduction technology.
Module fabrication is scheduled to begin late this year and run through the end of 2013.
Construction will follow with mechanical completion scheduled to allow plant start-up in 2015.
The process is designed to pump fluid fine tailings through a series of centrifuges to separate the maximum amount of water from the solids.
Released water will be recycled for plant operations and the soil product of the centrifuge process will have sufficient density and strength to be placed in deposits, then capped and reclaimed. Tailing ponds hold the mixture of water, solids, and other fluids left over from the initial processing of mined oilsands.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)