LATEST NEWS Trade Contracting
December 19, 2012
Bill C-377 passes in House
Bill C-377, a private member's bill brought forward by Conservative MP Russ Hiebert was passed in the House of Commons by a vote of 147 to 135.
The bill will require unions and other labour groups in Canada to disclose annual reports on spending, salaries and other political activities.
The bill was amended to address privacy concerns, but the Canadian Building Trades were disappointed with the amendments, calling them inadequate to skilled trade members across the country.
They will not stop their campaign against the bill even though it has passed.
A 2011 poll by Nanos Research shows that 83 per cent of Canadians and 86 per cent of union members back the bill.
C-377 will now have to be passed by the Senate. According to Canada Revenue, the new systems needed for the bill won’t be ready until 2015.
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)