December 31, 2012
Minister blasts Port Mann Bridge contractor
B.C.'s transportation minister said the contractor that built the multi-billion-dollar Port Mann bridge in British Columbia should have known snow and ice could be a problem on the brand new span.
More than 100 vehicle insurance claims have been filed after chunks of ice pelted down from the bridge’s suspension cables during a snowstorm Wednesday, injuring two people.
Mary Polak said her ministry was aware of that as a potential problem when the contract for the bridge was being put together, but she says what happened yesterday shows the contract’s requirements weren’t met.
The bridge was built by Kiewit-Flatiron General Partnership, but no one from Kiewit was available for comment Thursday.
The Crown agency that operates the bridge will pay the deductibles of drivers whose vehicles were damaged in the incident.
Tolls for travellers crossing the bridge between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. will also be waived.
News from © Canadian Press Enterprises Inc., 2012
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 368 projects with a total value of $7,826,276,357 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$4,200,000,000 Hardisty AB Prebid
$200,000,000 Vancouver BC Negotiated
$127,000,000 Coquitlam BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Construction on the Panama Canal expansion
- Concerns raised about P3 approach for Saskatchewan schools
- Manitoba focuses on infrastructure spending in budget
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of March 10th, 2014
- Team work and prep are keys to success: Hadfield
- Panama Canal expansion digs deep
- Wood Design Awards
- Outgoing chair reflects on time at the helm of the CCA
- School board asks for traditional procurement
- Site Services in Vancouver
- Looking to improve contract awards
- Environmental verdict riles Taseko
- Prentice to mediate First Nations agreements
- CAWIC funded to create action plan to attract women
- More video surveillance used on construction sites
- Modular workforce housing meets Alberta Building Code standard
- Manitoba outlines infrastructure plan
- BC Hydro posts RFQ for Site C project
- A Closer Look VIDEO: Construction on the Panama Canal Expansion
- CCA96th: Unlocking Canada's Potential
- Break ground beyond Canada, says new CCA chair
- Construction of Haiti’s Ecole Lakay drives forward
- The power of proper project management
- Panama Construction Fact for Today
- Federal government unveils $32.5 million in funding for Quebec ice oval
- Canadian job market “sputters” in February
- Construction and machinery to see increased investment, says StatsCan
- Line 3 pipeline plans for Enbridge