January 23, 2013
Bridge work progressing
Construction of the eastern half of the new Sturgeon Road Bridge in Winnipeg, Manitoba was completed recently and crews are preparing to demolish the western portion of the structure.
Traffic on Sturgeon Road shifted onto the newly constructed roadway and bridge on Jan. 15, with one lane of traffic being maintained in each direction for the duration of construction.
The demolition sets the stage for the construction of the western lanes’ bridge foundation, superstructure and approach roadway.
The elevation of the new bridge is raised to allow traffic to pass under the north span of the bridge.
The project replaces the existing bridge with a new structure that meets current roadside safety standards.
It also involves upgrades to landscaping including the cycling and walking trails within the project area.
The west portion of the bridge is scheduled for completion by the fall of 2013.
The Sturgeon Road Bridge, which spans Sturgeon Creek to connect Ness Avenue and Portage Avenue, was constructed in 1965.
The three-span concrete bridge has deteriorated over the years, due to several environmental factors, including the use of road de-icing chemicals.
As a result, the bridge was load restricted in the 1980s to 36.5 tonnes, which is the weight of an average-sized tractor trailer.
Repairs were completed in 1996 to extend the life of the bridge. However, the concrete and reinforced steel structure has exceeded its service life and needs to be replaced.
The City of Winnipeg commissioned Stantec to undertake preliminary design, detailed design and construction administration for the replacement project.
Replacement of the eastern portion of the bridge and roadway began in May 2012 and the western portion of the bridge will be completed in October 2013.
The preliminary budget estimate for construction of the bridge project was $12 million and the new bridge will have a service life of about 75 years.
If you would like to see a building report about the Sturgeon Road Bridge, please click here.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas