January 23, 2013
Saskatchewan feasibility study
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is working with a local engineering firm to assess the feasibility of building the North Commuter Bridge.
City council voted on Jan. 7 to accept the $109,488 proposal submitted by Clifton Associates Ltd., to complete the preliminary geotechnical and environmental investigations for a new bridge.
A Request for Proposal was sent to seven engineering firms and posted on the SaskTenders website and a response was received from the following six firms:
AMEC Environment & Infrastructure Ltd.;
Clifton Associates Ltd.;
Golder Associates Ltd.;
MMM Group Ltd.;
SNC-Lavalin/MDH Engineered Solutions; and
WorleyParsons Canada Ltd.
According to council minutes, the North Commuter Bridge is required to address the travel demands of Saskatoon’s rapidly growing population of 500,000.
It will link the Marquis Industrial and the University Heights areas.
One of the first steps in the development of a design for a river crossing is a preliminary geotechnical and environmental assessment of the proposed alignment.
Regulatory approvals may be required for this work.
If the recommendation from this work is to proceed with the proposed alignment, the subsequent plan will require public consultation.
This is expected to coincide with the public consultation associated with the amendment of the University Heights Sector Plan, tentatively scheduled for February 2013.
The city’s 2013 budget for the bridge is $7.6 million, which will pay for assessments and land acquisitions.
The construction cost of the bridge is estimated at $86 million and the completion of the bridge is expected by 2016.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
To view a building report about the North Commuter Bridge, click here.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$1,000,000,000 Edmonton AB Prebid
$220,000,000 Medicine Hat AB Negotiated
$50,000,000 Calgary AB Prebid
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)