January 30, 2013
Journal of Commerce Update for the week of February 4th, 2013
In this week's update, we look at some of the stories we'll be covering in the Journal of Commerce for the week of February 4th, 2013.
EGRT Construction has been awarded an $889 million contract for the Evergreen Line. EGRT is a consortium led by SNC-Lavalin and it will design, build and finance the $1.4 billion project, which will link the cities of Burnaby, Coquitlam and Port Moody with an 11-kilometre light rapid transit line.
HD Mining is sending 16 temporary foreign workers back to China after bringing them to Canada to work on their Tumbler Ridge project. The company cited a legal challenge from two unions as the reason for sending the workers home.
The Gold Seal Certification program has launched an online portal for both study and applications. The portal will initially be English-only, but will also take French applications by March 2013.
Keep an eye out for our upcoming Buildex Vancouver feature section, and make sure to watch our latest feature video with Ron Coleman, who has been briefing the construction industry on how best to prepare for the upcoming switch back to the PST in British Columbia.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 527 projects with a total value of $1,552,331,732 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$53,000,000 Calgary AB Negotiated
$50,000,000 Abbotsford BC Negotiated
$47,500,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Canadian Construction Association conference Panama preview
- Concerns raised about P3 approach for Saskatchewan schools
- Manitoba focuses on infrastructure spending in budget
- Team work and prep are keys to success: Hadfield
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of March 10th, 2014
- Panama Canal expansion digs deep
- Wood Design Awards
- Outgoing chair reflects on time at the helm of the CCA
- School board asks for traditional procurement
- Site Services in Vancouver
- Looking to improve contract awards
- Environmental verdict riles Taseko
- Prentice to mediate First Nations agreements
- CAWIC funded to create action plan to attract women
- More video surveillance used on construction sites
- Modular workforce housing meets Alberta Building Code standard
- Manitoba outlines infrastructure plan
- BC Hydro posts RFQ for Site C project
- CCA96th: Unlocking Canada's Potential
- VIDEO: LiUNA Local 183 Training Centre introduces new programs
- Break ground beyond Canada, says new CCA chair
- Construction of Haiti’s Ecole Lakay drives forward
- The power of proper project management
- Panama Construction Fact for Today
- Federal government unveils $32.5 million in funding for Quebec ice oval
- Canadian job market “sputters” in February
- Construction and machinery to see increased investment, says StatsCan
- Line 3 pipeline plans for Enbridge