August 19, 2013
Alberta truck fatality investigated
Alberta Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) officers are investigating the death of a truck driver who was crushed while working on the construction of the Steinhauer Bridge in Fort McMurray, Alberta.
“A semi-trailer dump truck with about a 53 foot trailer and a raised box tipped over onto the cab of another semi-trailer parked beside it,” said Alberta OHS spokesperson Lisa Glover.
“The operator of the second truck was crushed.”<0x000A>The incident happened at about 5:55 p.m. on Aug. 9 at the Steinhauer Bridge.
The 43-year old male was employed by Rosco Holding.
The prime contractor on the project is Flatiron Construction.
OH&S officers are investigating the incident and a stop-work order was issued.
Flatiron was awarded a $51 million contract to rehabilitate the Steinhauer Bridge, which crosses the Athabasca River.
This project involves the demolition of the bridge superstructure, which includes the deck, girders and bearings, as well as retrofitting the bridge’s pier caps. Bridge capacity will be increased from two to three lanes.
The Steinhauer Bridge carries northbound traffic over the Athabasca River and is parallel to the new $127 million Athabasca River Bridge, which opened to four lanes of traffic in October 2011.
The five-lane bridge will ultimately provide three lanes for northbound Highway 63 traffic and two lanes for local northbound traffic from Franklin Avenue.
Flatiron is detouring traffic onto the new Athabasca River Bridge during construction on the Steinhauer Bridge.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 333 projects with a total value of $13,209,890,621 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$4,000,000,000 Pond Inlet NT Negotiated
$1,400,000,000 Grande Cache AB Prebid
$500,000,000 Vancouver BC Prebid
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas