August 14, 2013
Journal of Commerce Update for the week of August 19th, 2013
In this week's update, we look at some of the stories we'll be covering in the Journal of Commerce for the week of August 19th, 2013.
BC Hydro’s Site C Dam project has entered the joint review panel phase. The dam project, located in northeastern British Columbia, is part of BC Hydro’s plan to address increased future demand, and the company submitted an environmental impact statement on August 2nd.
Staff writer Richard Gilbert has a story about a new mental health facility for Vancouver General Hospital. Three teams have been shortlisted to design and build the $82 million facility.
Richard also has two stories about accidents involving bridges in Fort McMurray, one involving the death of a truck driver working on the Steinhauer Bridge and the other on repair of the Hospital Street Bridge, which was recently damaged by a tractor trailer carrying an oversize load.
Daily Commercial News staff writer Patricia Williams look into requests by the Association of Consulting Engineers Canada for the federal government to build a national strategy for northern and remote infrastructure.
Guest columnist and Journal of Commerce editorial advisory board member Grant McMillan has a column on the newly announced WorkSafeBC 2014 preliminary assessment rates, and stay tuned for a video column from Grant about the rates and other topics, coming soon.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas