September 18, 2013
Student Union Building at UBC takes shape
MICHAEL SHERMAN PHOTOGRAPHY
Construction is well underway on a new Student Union Building at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.
Building the Great Hall has included lifting massive steel trusses, which are 8.5 metres in height and two that are more than 36 metres long.
Bird Construction is the construction manager for the $103 million LEED Platinum project.
Dialog and B+H Architects did the design and UBC Properties Trust is the project manager.
The five-storey structure will replace the current facility, which was built in 1968.
Consulting engineers include Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd. (structural), AME Group Engineering (mechanical) and Applied Engineering Solutions (electrical).
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 299 projects with a total value of $6,054,395,373 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$1,400,000,000 Greater Vancouver RD BC Negotiated
$127,000,000 Coquitlam BC Negotiated
$100,000,000 Division No 16 AB Prebid
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 16th, 2013
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex
- VIDEO: Construct Canada 2013 CEO Power Breakfast
- Toronto firms tops for Winnipeg hut designs
- Toronto architect releases music album
- Road pricing an effective congestion fighter, say experts
- What does “Local Knowledge” really mean in Ontario AFPs?
- United States construction employers add 17,000 jobs in November but growth is uneven, finds AGC
- Toronto housing starts dip: CMHC
- Active unions needed, says Segal
- Saint John Harbour Bridge project wraps up