September 18, 2013
Student Union Building at UBC takes shape
MICHAEL SHERMAN PHOTOGRAPHY
Construction is well underway on a new Student Union Building at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.
Building the Great Hall has included lifting massive steel trusses, which are 8.5 metres in height and two that are more than 36 metres long.
Bird Construction is the construction manager for the $103 million LEED Platinum project.
Dialog and B+H Architects did the design and UBC Properties Trust is the project manager.
The five-storey structure will replace the current facility, which was built in 1968.
Consulting engineers include Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd. (structural), AME Group Engineering (mechanical) and Applied Engineering Solutions (electrical).
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 333 projects with a total value of $13,209,890,621 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$4,000,000,000 Pond Inlet NT Negotiated
$1,400,000,000 Grande Cache AB Prebid
$500,000,000 Vancouver BC Prebid
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas