October 21, 2013
VanDusen visitor centre earns award for its metal roof
The VanDusen Botanical Garden Visitor Centre in Vancouver, B.C. received a 2013 Chairman's Award from the Metal Construction Association (MCA).
It was the only Canadian project to be honoured in this year’s awards, which recognize outstanding building projects involving MCA member companies. The award was in the metal roofing category. In a release, the association said the visitor centre’s unique design simulates a native orchid.
Undulating green roof panels on the building float above rammed earth and concrete walls. Metal panels are used for the five-petal design that dramatically flows to the ground in a half-barrel shape.
The association judges noted that “this beautifully executed building has a roof crafted with exquisite detailing.”
The natural finish metal chosen for the building is easy to maintain.
3A Composites USA was the MCA member manufacturer on the project. Perkins+Will Canada was the architect and Ledcor Group of Companies, the contractor. The metal installer was Keith Panel Systems Co., Ltd.
The project was one of eight that received awards in various categories. The other projects were in the U.S.
They were handed out at the recent Metalcon International conference and exhibition in Atlanta, Ga.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas