December 4, 2013
VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
In this week's update, we look at some of the stories we'll be covering in the Journal of Commerce for the week of December 9th, 2013.
Taseko Mines is applying for a judicial review of a federal panel’s findings regarding a proposed gold mine near Williams Lake, BC, but the Tsilhqot’n First Nation says the legal action is an attack on the environmental assessment process.
Staff writer Richard Gilbert has a story about Rio Tinto’s massive investment in a Kitimat smelter project, even as the company cuts back worldwide on other projects.
Correspondent Jessica Krippendorf looks into the new CCDC 14 and 15 design-build stipulated price contracts released by the Canadian Construction Documents Committee.
Correspondent Peter Caulfield has a story about the transition in BC back to a provincial sales tax model, and how that has affected various sectors of the construction industry. Columnist Stephen Bauld goes into detail about contract uncertainty and price escalation.
This week’s feature video is an interview with Independent Contractors and Businesses Association president Philip Hochstein about his views on the present and future of construction in BC.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 479 projects with a total value of $1,224,678,004 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Wednesday.
$80,000,000 Calgary AB CANCELLED/ DEFERRED
$33,500,000 Port Moody BC Prebid
$30,000,000 Calgary AB CANCELLED/ DEFERRED
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 28th, 2014
- Merit Contractors Association president announces retirement
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job
- Having a blast on the job — demo with finesse
- Does a roadmap to a sustainable future exist?
- Work complete on South Kent Wind project
- Draft standard for snow loads on buildings in northern Canada open for feedback
- Community murals brighten up construction hoarding on TTC projects
- Protecting endangered species a focus on Highway 15 work
- Intricate demolition saves venerable newspaper building façade
- London Roundhouse project takes selective demolition to high art
- London hospital tear down not your average demo
- Strategic demolition repurposes Bowater Mersey paper plant
- Barn razing: demolition of Charlottetown racehorse stables
- Incarceration gives way to innovation at Bridgepoint
- Breaking good: National Demolition Association updates safety manual
- Droppings responsible for respiratory illness at Quebec demolition site
- Innovative storm water solution under Denison Road