February 10, 2014
Saskatchewan NDP criticizes proposed increase of school taxes to pay for infrastructure projects
The Opposition says the Saskatchewan government shouldn't take money out of education to pay for bridges or overpasses.
NDP Leader Cam Broten said the education property tax was meant to fix crumbling, overcrowded schools and ensure resources are in place for students.
Premier Brad Wall said last week that it’s possible money for infrastructure projects could come from higher school taxes.
Wall said there are big infrastructure needs in the cities – for example, a highway bypass in Regina – and one out of three towns has water or sewer issues.
The premier said the budget is being finalized for March and must be balanced, but also that raising taxes is a last resort.
Broten said the government has more resources and revenue available than any other Saskatchewan government in history and it shouldn’t take money dedicated to schools.
News from © Canadian Press Enterprises Inc., 2014
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 500 projects with a total value of $2,096,783,397 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$125,000,000 Edmonton AB Tenders
$50,000,000 New Westminster BC Negotiated
$50,000,000 Calgary AB Negotiated
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- P3s gaining acceptance according to survey
- Office Job
- Wilson Station Stop
- MCAC and CIPH take Parliament Hill
- Construction progresses on Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- RFP issued for Highway 407 East
- Ontario announces May 1 budget date
- Arup to design wellhead platform concrete gravity structure for White Rose Extension Project